Are you struggling to overcome a traumatic experience?
Are you trying to cope with the effects of childhood trauma such as physical, sexual, emotional abuse or neglect?
Do you dread reminders of something in your past?
Even when traumatic events are years behind you, you may find yourself struggling to make sense of how you’re feeling and frustrated with your efforts to cope. Trauma can impact the most fundamental aspects of day to day living, leaving you more vulnerable to depression, anxiety, and post traumatic stress. You may be engaging in destructive behaviors or catch yourself repeating painful patterns in your relationships. Effects of trauma can be far reaching and show up long after the painful event(s) are over.
I provide trauma informed psychotherapy for adults who are coping with a history of trauma and PTSD, including childhood abuse (sexual, physical and emotional) and neglect, sudden loss, and trauma/traumatic stress connected to pregnancy and postpartum.
Some of the ways unresolved trauma is experienced are:
- Problems with trust and intimacy in relationships
- Struggling to maintain relationships
- Feeling isolated, alienated, like you don’t “fit in”
- Frequent thoughts about what’s happened in the past, playing over and over again without resolution.
- Upsetting, unwanted memories intruding into your thoughts
- Feeling as though the traumatic event is happening again
- Chronic feelings of fear, anger, shame
- Difficulty controlling emotions
- Feeling numb
- Sacrificing your needs in order to please/placate others
- Self destructive behaviors
- Believing that you are bad, inadequate, less than
- Being aware that the trauma is affecting you, but unsure/ unable to say how
How Psychotherapy Can Help
My priority is to work with you to develop a safe, supportive relationship so that you can acknowledge your feelings and experiences, no matter what they are.
Therapy offers a safe space to help you understand how trauma and abuse have impacted you and your relationships. Issues that are commonly addressed are learning coping skills/grounding techniques to manage overwhelming emotions and troublesome symptoms; examining how trauma is effecting your relationship with yourself and others; and exploring the meanings you connect to your trauma.
I regard you as the “expert on you”, and partner with you in deciding on the best approach to take in your healing. My work always includes providing new coping skills and strengthening self care in order to support the deeper exploration of your experiences.
Call (626)808-5463 for a free 15 minute phone consultation. I look forward to talking with you about how I can help.